A roller compactor generally consists of three major units.
- A feeding system, which converts the powder to the compaction area between the rolls.
- A compaction unit, where powder is compacted between two counter rotating rolls to a ribbon by applying a force.
- A size reduction unit, for milling the ribbons to the desired particle size.
- The most important parameter in the dry granulation process is the force applied on the powder compacted between two rolls.
- The applied force is expressed in kN/cm, being the force per cm roll width.
Main Process Variables:
- Compaction Pressure i.e. compaction force per cm of roll width.
- Speed of feeding screws
- Roll Speed
Advantages of Ganesh PharmaTech Roll Compactors:
- In general, a major advantage of dry granulation over wet granulation is the absence of water or any organic solvents. Therefore, this methodology is especially attractive for drugs, which are moisture or heat sensitive.
- This is suitable for compounds that either have a low melting point or degrade rapidly during heating, as the method does not involve any drying step.
- Roll compaction results in granules that form porous tablets thus allowing water to penetrate more easily into the tablet. This leads to improved disintegration behavior of tablets.
- In addition, this process is environmentally friendly. Also the roll compaction technique provides an efficient and easily automated process
- Low operational cost.
- Dust problems are minimized or avoided and the die filling during tableting is improved.
- The capping of tablets might also be reduced.
- Roll compaction/dry granulation can be used, if the drug or the excipient is poorly flowing or sensitive to heat or moisture.
- It can also be used for densification of powders prior to encapsulation.
- Immediate release formulations and enhanced dissolution
- Controlled release formulations
- Compaction & Granulation of catalysts
- Compaction & Granulation of color pigments
- Compaction & Granulation of enzymes
- Compaction & Granulation of natural / biological bulk materials
- Compaction & Granulation of food
- Compaction & Granulation of coffee powder
Special Features :
Applications in Pharmaceutical Industry:
- Preparation of directly compressible excipients: An ideal excipient for direct compression is a material with good flowability and compactibility. In many cases, an agglomeration is required to produce a directly compressible excipient.
- Compaction of drugs and drug formulations: Some drugs have low and inconsistent bulk and tap densities accompanied with very fine and inconsistent particle sizes. If the material also exhibits poor flow properties and poor compactibility, roll compaction might be used to overcome the raw material difficulties.
- Granulation of herbal dry extracts: Herbal dry extracts often possess a considerable hygroscopicity due to their hydrophilic components like sugars or organic acids. Furthermore, extracts often show poor flow and compression properties making a compaction/ granulation step necessary prior to tableting.
- Uniform mixing
- 100% leakage free functioning
- Simple to clean and maintain
- Totally cGMP Compact design availably in plain water jeckted & Flame proof model.
- It’s improve the bulk density of material.
- It’s improves uniform mixing of material.
- It’s achieve better granulation of sieves analysis.
- It’s produce uniform particle size range of granules.
- Various types of roll available to achieve maximum bulk density of out put.
- Specially designed feeding system consisting of hopper pre-densifer & variable
- Speed drive unit. Feeding unit can hydraulically lift by hydraulic pump for easy cleaning.
- Specially design provide in the roller to prevent powder sticking on the roll.
- Pre-compression chamber guides the powder without any slippage or leakage.
- To prevent major accident the roll is designed to rotate reverse & forward when cleaning.
- Specially limit switch is provided to prevent major accident.
- Main roll drive is design with twin shaft gear box coupled with coupling to protect roll drive unit there fore perfectly synchronizing the roll with a constant torque
- SAVE QUALITY OF ACTIVE MATERIALS :
Dry Granulation Process saves the quality of active raw-materials at its best. Material remains safe of Oxidation / Reduction / Temperature / Atmospheric hygroscopic absorbences.
- SAVE INSTALLATION OF RELATED EQUIPMENTS & SPACES. :
Dose not require Drying equipments on account of Compaction Process. So Drier Equipments & Spaces are saved.
- SAVES POWER INSTALLATIONS & CONSUMPTION. :
Power Requirements is only 7 H.P. compared to account of Compaction to more than 50 H.P. for Fluid Bed Drier.
- Power Conservation Comparative Study for Processing of 500 Kgs. granules proves :
Wet Granulation – ROLLER COMPACTOR MACHINE= SAVING
246.5 KW/HR.34 KW. HR. = 212.5 Kw.HR.
- SAVES MAN POWER :
Wet Granulation – ROLLER COMPACTOR MACHINE= SAVING
22.5 man./ hr. 8 man./ hr. = 14.5 Kw.HR.
- INCREASE PRODUCTION CAPACITY BY 1 TO 3 CRORES OF TABLETS :
Serrations X RpmXWeightXMinuteXWork Time= Compacts/Granules Output
60X5X3X60X6 = 324 Kgs. ( 10-25 Lac Tab. )
- EASY & PERFECT CLEANING ON CHANGE OVER :
Machine Design permit perfect cleaning in just 15 minute time. Machine Design permit cleaning with WATER HOSE PIPE & SOAP WATER.
- REDUCES INDUSTRIAL HAZARDS :
Alternative Production Process requires use of Non – Aqueous Binders that Causes INDUSTRIAL HAZARDS OF – FIRE – COST – HUMAN DAMAGES.
which is saved on account of dry Granulation Processing.
- DRY GRANULATION MADE PRODUCTIVE & EFFICIENT :
Alternative Slugging Equipments have – Cumbersome Operation – Less Efficient Slugging. – Low Productivity.
- READY FORMULATION SUGGESTIONS :
Backed by Actual Involvement in manufacture of various Formulations from one of the Directors of the company.